Mindfulness Matters: We all benefit from looking after our mental health.
Omne Bonum (All Good Things) This page is a central location where you can find helpful resources to maintain good mental health. Take the first step! We all need to be reminded to take care of ourselves during these especially trying times.
Hygge Pronounced “hoo-ga,” this Danish concept cannot be translated to one single word but encompasses a feeling of cozy contentment and well-being
- Learn the Hygge Definition and Meaning
- I Practiced Hygge and It’s Kind of the Best Thing Ever
- How To Incorporate the Hygge Lifestyle Into Your Next Decade
- Winter Doldrums Got You Down? Try Hygge! NPR
September, 1, 2020. A Lawyer’s mental health is a critical part of their ability to perform at their best. The ABA has recognized that the legal community has “fallen short” when it comes to well-being. The 2017 National Task Force On Lawyer Well-Being recommends five central tenants that the legal community should focus on: Identifying and reducing toxicity levels in the legal profession, removing the stigma surrounding help-seeking, emphasizing that well-being is a critical and indispensable part of a lawyer’s duty of competence, educate the legal community and change how law is practiced and regulated to improve greater well-being in the community.
The Pro Bono Program wholeheartedly endorses these recommendations. We also believe that service provides a bridge between students and the greater community while also improving student relationships and their mental health. Studies show participation in volunteer services improves mental and physical health by improving self-esteem and happiness. In addition to encouraging student involvement in Pro Bono activities, the Pro Bono newsletter is introducing Omne Bonum, found in this newsletter and on the 386ºblog, dedicated to improving the conversation about mental health in the legal community on our USC Law campus.
Darcy Compton Pro Bono Board Member
Articles of interest
- Work Life Balance https://www.americanbar.org/groups/litigation/publications/litigation_journal/2019-20/fall/there-no-worklife-balance/
- The Path to Lawyer Wellbeing- https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/images/abanews/ThePathToLawyerWellBeingReportRevFINAL.pdf
- Bar Admission Resource for Law Students and Graduates
- How to Rewire Your Brain to be More Resilient in Your Legal Career
- Recap of Law Student Wellness Twitter Chat on National Mental Health Day for Law Schools (March 28, 2018)
- New Path to Law Student Well-Being Podcast Series: Episode 1, part 1 discusses ways individual faculty members can notice, engage with, and support students they suspect are in distress. Episode 1, part 2 discusses steps faculty can take to promote student well-being through their teaching in the classroom and includes concrete actions for law school administrators.
- ABA Student Lawyer Magazine dedicated to Wellness and How to Deal with Law School Stress (ABA Law Student Division, March/April/May 2018)
- The Key to Law Student Well-Being? We Have to Love Our Law Students, by David B. Jaffe, National Association for Law Placement PD Quarterly (February 2018) (Also available via PDF)
- The Elephant in the Room: The Legal Profession, Mental Health, and Substance Abuse(recording of live Stanford Law School program that took place on Feb. 8, 2018)
- Law school stress: It’s not about you, and it’s all about you, by Jeff Fortgang and Shawn Healy (Before the Bar Blog, ABA Law Student Division, Feb. 27, 2018)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Toolkit for Law Students and Those Who Care About Them, a collaborative effort of CoLAP, the ABA Law Student Division, and the Dave Nee Foundation.
- Ways to reach out to help a loved one at risk of suicide
- Knitting Pumpkins can be good for your mental health
- Greater Good Magazine
- The Power of Empathy | ABA Law Practice TodayPodcasts/ Talks
- Life Skills That Matter, Stephen Warley
Call to Mind is a link to several NPR podcasts centered on mental wellness. Podcasts include:
- The Hilarious World of Depression
- Tremendous Upside
- Terrible, Thanks for Asking
TED Talk: How to cope with anxiety
TED Talk: Talks to help you manage stress
TED Talk: The health benefits of clowning around
TED Talk: How to Break a Bad Habit
TED Talk: 3 Steps to Avoid Remote Work Burnout